This next installment of SAP SM Blueprinting is a short and sweet one, but be sure not to over look these details. If you perform in-house repairs or returns, you need to understand what processes need to be accounted for. Here’s a good starting point.
Do you currently have any special processes or requirements after receiving the material into stock?
Often when you receive materials into your plant, there are special requirements, special areas, or people to notify. Be sure to check if any of the following might apply:
- Does the inspection or service department need to be notified?
- Does the customer receive any notification when their part has been received?
- Does Customer service need to be notified upon receipt? This could be to issue a credit, or an email to the customer.
- Do any movements need to occur from the dock to the service department?
Where do the returns get received?
While this is a simple question, it can have a lot of configuration implications.
- Do you need a specific storage location for all repairs and/or returns?
- Will the repairs be processed in an inventory managed or warehouse managed storage location?
- Is a unique shipping point needed for repairs? This is often very helpful in the storage location determination.
The ever present of question of serialization
It seems question never goes away. Shipping and receiving is often the forgotten when dealing with returns and repairs. If your shipping and receiving areas are familiar with serial numbers, this should go pretty quickly. However, if serialization is new to the group, be sure they are prepared for the following
- Repairs may require a serial number, what if the serial number isn’t readily available or visible?
- What if the serial number returned doesn’t match what is expected?
- Will shipping ever be required to create a serial number for a repair? If so, is the labeling hardware available in an accessible location?
Shipping the Product back to the customer
- Do you need to be concerned with returnable packaging?
- What paperwork needs to be provided to the customer upon return of the product?
- How are special shipping instructions provided to the shipping department?
Hope you found this helpful, and as always, please post anything else I may have missed or if you have any questions.